Hair is a woman’s crowning glory. A beautiful hair adds an extra boost of confidence which enhances the total body image. It is important to take care of your precious tresses and keep them healthy at all times.
Hair-care experts suggest the following helpful tips and tricks:
Wash your hair properly
It is necessary to wash hair properly to prevent damage.
- Precondition the hair one hour before washing. Massage it with coconut oil or any oil of your choice.
- Use cool or lukewarm water to retain moisture and protect the cuticles. Avoid hot water because it can cause split-ends and dehydrate the hair.
- Always dilute the shampoo before applying it to hair. Concentrated shampoo can strip the natural oils and leaves hair dry. Massage your scalp gently in small, circular motions. Do not rub to avoid hair tangles.
- Apply conditioner to hair in the middle length up to the ends. Wash after 2 minutes.
- Do not wash your hair daily to prevent it from becoming prone to hair fall or breakage. Too much washing also strips off the natural oil and proteins from hair.
To blow-dry or not
After a shower, pre-dry the hair with a microfiber towel to remove excess water. Do not wring out your hair or rub it with terry cloth towel to prevent breakage that weakens the shafts. Obvious signs of damage are frizz and dryness.
- Avoid too much blow drying.
- Wait until the hair is 70% dry before blow drying. The hair cuticles at this point have closed and can withstand the heat.
Use good quality hair tools
Brushes and combs are basic tools for your hair-care.
- Detangle hair while it still has conditioner. Use wide-tooth comb. It is especially-made to glide smoothly through hair.
- Use boar bristle brush for daily use. The correct way of brushing is to stroke few inches above hair ends downwards. Then slowly brush way up.
- For blow-drying, the best brush is either metal brush or round brush.
Protect the hair from the sun and pollutants
Your hair needs protection from air pollutants and the sun.
- Use a sunscreen to protect hair from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- Avoid going out while your hair is still wet or newly-oiled to prevent dirt and dust from sticking to it.
- Always wear a scarf or hat when you step outside during a sunny day.
- Do not leave your hair loose. Always tie it up with soft hair elastics. Avoid using rubber bands.
And here’s more…
- Before sleeping, rub a small amount of olive oil (argan oil or almond oil are also good) on your hair ends to moisturize them.
- Brushing your mane for one minute 2 times a day, one in the morning and one before going to bed keeps it healthy and shiny.
- To restore hair moisture and cleans the scalp, deep conditioning at least once a week is necessary.
- For dry and damaged hair, apple an apple cider vinegar mask for 30 minutes before you shampoo. To make the mask, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 3 egg whites.